Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Replacing 902 diaphragms?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Kercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2006
    Posts
    41
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Replacing 902 diaphragms?

    Well, I was screwing around with my 604-8k's and accidently sent full signal through the compression driver on one side. Only ~3watts, but full signal none the less. By the time I realized it, the output on that one side dropped quite a bit. Now the HF coil reads 1 ohm. ugg... I guess I need to replace that diaphragm. I've never done this before, but there looks to be three screws holding the black diaphragm ring to the 902 type magnet assembly. It doesn't seem too complicated. Is this something I can attempt myself? I think I feel safer working on it myself vs. shipping it all the way to Great Plains. Maybe there is someone out there who has done this swap that can comment on the difficulty level.
    Thanks,
    Dan

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Replacing 902 diaphragms?


  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Replacing 902 diaphragms?

    the instruction sheets are in much better resolution on the GPA website or Altec Pro.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Replacing 902 diaphragms?

    If you have not yet, check the leads going to the diaphragm. I had an 806 blow out (I thought) but when I disassembled it I found one of the leads had burned into. I had enough left to solder the broken piece back together. This repair lasted 15 years.
    This may not apply to you, but I would check it first...
    Good luck...

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Kercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2006
    Posts
    41
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Replacing 902 diaphragms?

    Thanks for the information. Those instructions don't look too bad. I'll check later to see if it's a burned lead.
    Dan

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Replacing 902 diaphragms?

    I would assume that a broken lead would cause an open and no output.

    Since you now measure 1 ohm, you likely smoked the coil and the turns hav pretty much all shorted together.
    Since it's toast, go ahead and remove it. Nothing to lose if it's bad.

    You might need to use a sharp knife to get under the edge of the fram assembly to pop it lose. They tend to stick in place.

    Mark the terminals + and - on the magnet assembly. this will help you key it when you put the new one in.

    Ron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.